Sunday, December 1, 2013

I was on the train the other day and for some odd reason I noticed someone's ears and thought: 'ears'... aren't they interesting little things that God gave us! Then I thought about eyes and how we generally trust in our sight more than our hearing... and that's when I realised something really special.

Sometimes all the lights go out in life. We all experience it, literal or figurative, moments when its really hard to see. When direction is crucial but sight suddenly can't help us. I realised that its in those moments that hearing comes into its own - our funny little 'ears' can navigate the darkness in a way sight cannot.

Trusting in our sight is far more fragile... yet by default, it's what we trust in. A mother calls 'stop' at the curb, but the child trusts in what he sees, rather than what he hears and crosses the road anyway. If I think about it.. my eyes tend to judge many things in contrary opinion to my ears... and if I am honest, my 'sight' has less 'insight' into someone else's life than sitting down and listening to them.

So... idea... Whether it's dark today or bright as can be... take time to close your eyes, deciding to put aside the way 'you' see everything and listen. Listen to your children, listen to your spouse, listen to the rain... Spend a little more time 'listening' and a little less time 'looking'.

And take some time to listen to God. The Word was before the world was. His Word created everything we see. Listening to His voice will calm your heart and stir your faith. It will enable you to navigate any terrain - whether its foggy, dark, stormy, bright and even those moments when our own sight fails us.

"So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment